Tuesday, February 15, 2005

IAN JORGENSEN

The No. 8 Wire poses a batch of questions...
A creative person answers...


What cities/towns have you lived in (or spent more than a few months in), beginning with your place of birth.

Born. Papakura, Auckland. Lived in Johnsonville, Wellington from the age of 6 months to 17. Flatted in various suburbs around Wellington and the inner city until 25. Currently living in Newtown, Wellington.

What are the earliest stories you remember hearing?

God knows.

What music was present and still memorable from your youth/adolescence?

I was obsessed with Simple Minds in the eighties, collected all their albums and any thing Simple Minds that I could lay my hands on. I was a huge 80s & early 90s pop fan. My favourite other artists were Billy Joel and MC Hammer. I still listen to Simple Minds, but now listen to their earlier stuff that came out in like 81-83 when I was too young to appreciate it. Anything they did past 1993 was horse shit anyway.

For you as a creative person, who are three influential artists or thinkers?

I'm a big fan of David Bailey and I feel cliche, but Andy Warhol, more for his involvement in The Velvet Underground, not so much his "pop art". Only photographers that have really inspired me are contemporary artists; Ami Barwell, music photographer from the UK is quite simply the most incredible photographer I have seen, taking live music photography beyond simple editorial coverage. I also really dug a lot of Anton Corbijn's work in the 90s.

What is your dream of happiness?

What I'm doing now, but breaking even and spending more time with my girlfriend.

Who are your favourite or most admired figures from history?

Stanley Kubrick and Ansel Adams.

Name three films that you consider profound, moving, or extraordinary.

City of God, Gleaming the Cube (this was so moving for a die hard skateboarder at the time), The Castle.

What was your first real job? second? third?

I wouldn't call it a job. I worked at Camera House for around 6 years until 1999. That was my one and only real job. Taking photos of bands isn't work.

If you had to eat the same meal every day, what would it be?

I already do. Butter Chicken or Chicken Tikka Masala from Daawat in Manners Mall. $8.95 including Rice and naan. Either that, or the Burgers from Paradise Seafoods in Island Bay.

Name a few books that you couldn't put down, would read again, haunt
you still.


I don't read, seriously. I used to read in the eighties. Last book I remember reading was 2001, a space odyssey. I find reading takes away from the time I have to write, ironically, unless I find time to read, I can't improve my writing, and I don't have time to read because I am trying to improve my writing. If I read, I would also know if this was Ironic or not, I'm just guessing, its probably just moronic.

What have you done, seen, experienced, or produced that was a
disappointment to you?


I booked a band to support at three shows on one of my tours without seeing them on the recommendation of some friends... they were embarrassingly terrible, and I had to cringe and cover my head in shame each time they played for three shows.

What was the most recent live performance you attended, and where was it presented?

A gig of local bands at Bodega on Saturday past. A Tsunami relief fundraiser. I went along to see two bands I'd heard good things about, but hadn't had the chance to see them live.

In one sentence, can you define art?

Whatever the fuck the artist wants it to be.

What word of advice would you offer an aspiring artist in your field?

Learn to talk out your ass and be prepared to not make any money for a long, long, long time.

Where would you like to live, but have yet to?

Stockholm. Have been obsessed with this city of islands ever since I jokingly referenced it in an article I wrote and then researched it.

What would you like to do, but have yet to?

Pay my rent.

Briefly describe a project you are planning for the future.

Ixnay on the plansay, until the fundingsay come throughay.

What one question would you add to this Query?

What is your proudest artistic achievement/endeavour?


BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH

I went to school at Onslow College, though the photography department there didn't do shit for me. I spent 2 months at Wellington Polytechnic but dropped out because the course was too broad and I thought fundamentally wrong in churning out people with inflated egos and no real world idea. I decided just to give it a go, no qualifications.

After working in photographic retail for years, I bit the bullet and started trying to shoot professionally, after shooting portraits, weddings, real estate I finally took the gamble and just exclusively shot what I loved most: bands and fashion. After several years I started putting out a xeroxed 'zine of my favourite band photos, this zine developed a cult following.

After 7 xeroxed issues, I took the step to making it offset printed with a CD every month. I also took the mad step of releasing it every month with a nationwide tour by a different band. The magazine, A LOW HUM, is notoriously difficult to get. I like it that way. I am the editor and as a failure of 5th form English, terrible at my job. I make no money, yet have a hell of a good time travelling around the country every month taking my favourite bands on tour and then printing my favourite photos in a magazine that people really appreciate and see as a breath of fresh air.

Keeping my integrity, I don't sell advertising and I only have bands in the magazine whom I like. I love what I do, but will stop doing it soon because there are plenty of other things I want to try and there is not enough time in the day!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home