Wednesday, February 23, 2005

PAUL FORREST

The No. 8 Wire poses a batch of questions...
A creative person answers...

What cities/towns have you lived in (or spent more than a few months in), beginning with your place of birth?

Born in Whakatane in the Eastern Bay of Plenty. Lovely name. Short time in Auckland in the mid-teens before landing in Wellington at 17. Fell instantly in love with Wellington and it has been my home since then. Travelling has been rich for me and I always I'm pleased I have Wellington to come back to. I have lived in London and travelled extensively around the world from my early twenties including a few months in Cusco,Peru where I taught massage and experienced latin love. Helped smuggle her out to better life in the Carribean.

What are the earliest stories you remember hearing?

One of my earliest stories I remember hearing is 'Little Toot' on the radio.He was a brave tugboat.

What music was present and still memorable from your youth/adolescence?

Grew up with Jim Reeves and Patsy Cline through my mum, "It was an itsy bitsy teenie weenie polka dot bikini"(can't remember who sang it). My Dad introduced me to appreciating classical at an early stage. In my teens it was early Split Enz, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and an appreciation for the Blues from my mum.

For you as a creative person, who are three influential artists or thinkers?

J.M.W. Turner, Wassily Kandinsky, and Wellington's Rob Mcleod.

What is your dream of happiness?

My dream of happiness is living the life I do right now and having more money to take a tropical holiday or two.

Who are your favourite or most admired figures from history?

Favourite figures in history. Hmmmmmm.... Too many to name. All artists who have pushed the boundries and the many great people who have advanced our awareness of this world.

Name three films that you consider profound, moving, or extraordinary.

Andre Robelov by Tarkofsky, Santa Sangre by Jadowowsky, Matador by by Pedro Almodovar

What was your first real job? second? third?

Working in a bank for 4 and a half years.
Selling puppets in the streets of London
Self employed massage therapist and artist.

If you had to eat the same meal every day, what would it be?

Kingfish steaks cooked to perfection with yummy red potatoes and a delicious salad.

Name a few books that you couldn't put down, would read again, haunt you still.

The Sparrow by Maria doria Russell- a two book series with believable futuristic experiences.
Perfume by Patrick Suskend
The Vampire Lestat by Ann Rice

What have you done, seen, experienced, or produced that was a disappointment to you?

Destroying artwork of mine that I miss. Not too often fortunately.

What was the most recent live performance you attended, and where was it presented?

Most recent live performance was 'Caligula' in Auckland.

In one sentence, can you define art?

Art is bringing the creative seed to fruition.

What word of advice would you offer an aspiring artist in your field?

When possible use good materials and constantly push through your creative boundries. Let go of the fear and go for it because in reality as an artist you can do anything that you want as nobody can really tell you what to do or not. Complete freedom to transform at your will.

Where would you like to live, but have yet to?

Where would I like to live? On the coast in Greece or thereabouts.

What would you like to do, but have yet to?

Like to do? other than jump out of a parachute, go ballooning, I think travel more to see artwork around the world.

Briefly describe a project you are planning for the future.

I have purchased the Oak panels of a pulpit from an old church. I intend to turn them into beautiful iconographic works of art.

What one question would you add to this Query?

Question to add to survey: Do you think you are a successful artist and what would you change to believe you are?


BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH

Paul Forrest, New Zealand Contemporary Oil Painter. I am 41 years old and have been a professional artist in Wellington, New Zealand for 16 years with 13 solo and 9 group exhibitions. I have 160 artworks held in collections in New Zealand, Germany, The United States, The Netherlands and England.

I have had no formal training and I am a self-representing and passionate Artist. It is commonly said that my work is spiritually sensual and that thread runs through all the subjects I have explored over the years. My work is a constant challenging of myself in how I view the world .

Currently I live in the heart of Newtown in the former premises of performance venue The Space, where I have a large studio surrounded by a series of paintings in which I am creating a visual dance of human and abstract forms within the landscape. I have always had a fascination with colour and that is the driving force in all my artwork.

I balance my artistic practice by also working as a massage therapist at a health center.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home